Skip to content

Shades of Dana Green

January 25, 2013

My name is Dana and I am a green-o-holic.

Whenever I’m asked what my favorite color is I answer, “all of them.” When I first moved into my house the next-door neighbor (a gardener extraordinaire) tried in vain to teach me how to tame the tangled, weed-infested flowerbeds lining three sides of our lot. One day she brought over a funky, bright green gardening bucket to deposit weeds in. She thought I’d like to have it because it was my favorite color. A sweet gesture that I very much appreciated but must admit, left me somewhat bewildered, especially considering how little we knew of each other at the time. What, when, where and why did she get the idea that green was my favorite color I wondered.  It’s not true I thought, I love all colors equally.

As I look around me now, sure I’ve painted the walls in the bedroom, the skirt of the front-porch, and the kitchen walls green. The bathroom walls, the staircase runner, and my business logo all contain varying shades of green. Half the things I’ve posted on Drawing Pins are stained in tints of green. My most coveted ceramic collection is jade-green, celadon glazed ceramics. Our front door welcome mat is green. Even my favorite flavor of ice-cream (mint chocolate-chip) is green. On and on the revelations go. This is where Robin (mmm robins egg blue/green – so nice) would say, “holy blind spot Batman!”

Then a couple of weeks ago I was teaching the kids how to make clay beads, brushing up on seed bead weaving, and was in the middle of making a small house warming gift for a friend (all pictured below) when I came across a long forgotten envelope in my bead box. Inside the envelope was an assortment of green beads mailed to me from a friend who lives on the west coast. I read the message on the front of the envelope and started to laugh.

Evidently I do have a favorite color, which has been blatantly obvious to everyone but me

Green and blue polymer clay beads. Green and blue oval and heart shaped polymer clay beads.

© 2013, Dana Aubrey

7 Comments leave one →
  1. January 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Looks like green and blue. Love it. 🙂

• January 29, 2013 9:44 am

Cheers Rebecca! So right…where there is green, blue is never far behind. Shades of turquoise may have been more accurate. 🙂

2. January 26, 2013 5:15 am

The photos in this post are so beautiful!

It’s unnerving when something like this manages to evade the radars of one’s self-knowledge…I had this happen a few months ago when someone looked into our cabin/living room and said “Cool! I love your collection of boat paintings!” I did not, to my mind, collect anything at all…had you asked me I would have told you that I’m not the sort of person who ‘collects’. But of the 7 paintings on my walls, 5 are of ships. Cutty Sark sort of ships. How’d that happen? Sneaky idiosyncrasies…

• January 29, 2013 10:16 am

Thank you ♥. It is a sneaky thing isn’t it?! The mind sees what it wants to see on this concentrated quest for greater and/or lesser meaning. I’d love to see your boat paintings. Have you ever posted them?

3. Marina permalink
    January 26, 2013 7:49 am

Green is so alive and is my favorite as well but I can’t ignore how other colours compliment.
    Happiness for your discovery. Love your blog!

• January 29, 2013 10:32 am

It may be a frivolous discovery but yes, happiness is – my dear shades of seester green. xo