Skip to content

Inspiraled by Another, 3/66

March 1, 2013

Drawing Someone You Love.

The photo inspiration behind this one comes from our family album – magically captured by my sister-in-law. This drawing went through a metamorphosis closely mimicking my mood swings these last two weeks. The essence of the subject kept eluding me. I’d capture her and my heart would sing. I’d loose her and my heart would sink. Capture. Loose. Capture; never being able to hold on to each state for very long. It was maddening. Drawing someone I know and love gives me emotional whiplash. With that said, what can I say? I love every single minute of the process.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Inspiraled by Another is a series of 66 photography inspired sketches that made my pencil spin.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Progress of a sketch of a girl with wind in her hair.A sketch of a girl with wind in her hair.
© 2013, Dana Aubrey

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. March 1, 2013 7:17 pm

And in the end she sings. Beautiful.

2. Nancy permalink
    March 1, 2013 7:23 pm

These drawings are so beautiful – the struggle itself to capture the essence illuminates them, and is art in itself. Really gorgeous. There is transition and temporality in them.

3. March 2, 2013 7:10 pm

i love how you describe it as a capture-loose-capture feeling. it is almost like the difference between being there and not there – moving in and out of a moment, between sleep and wakefulness. this is a beautiful sketch

• March 4, 2013 4:23 pm

Thank you kindly Kat. I’m a big fan of your work and so appreciate that you took the time to drop by. 🙂

Emotional connections are near impossible to pin down which is probably what makes trying to catch them so darn appealing. The pursuit of describing beautifully invisible things is rewarding even if our investigation only yields a temporary understanding of them. In the words of William F. O’Brien, it’s “better to try and fail than never to try at all.”

• March 5, 2013 5:45 am

You write (and draw) it so well. “The pursuit of describing beautifully invisible things is rewarding even if our investigation only yields a temporary understanding of them.” – I’ll keep that in mind/heart. 🙂 I found your blog through Nat of Smallest Forest. your work is such a pleasure.. keep it flowing
        – Kat xx

• March 6, 2013 9:45 am

Goodness…compliments from you have made my day. I sincerely mean that. I found you via Nat as well and I’m in awe of the incredible talent both of you possess. Your blog and videos are sublime. I’m quite interested in taking one of your workshops in fact. Much appreciation, admiration and continued inspiration…flowing freely ♥